Sunday, March 18, 2018

Hot Tent Hot Shelters with the BioLite CookStove - As a Winter Camping Option

I've been experimenting these past few months with my idea to use a BioLite Cookstove as a heat source for a Hot Tent / Hot Shelter cold, wet camping option.  

I'm happy to report it works.



Using the BioLite Cookstove and a titanium 3 inch stove pipe, burning wood stove pellets, the combination creates an easy to set-up, inside the shelter, clean and efficient heat source.







Whenever Cooper and I go out, during wet, cold and snowy hikes, we still like to stop, make camp, cook a meal and enjoy our destination.







Sometimes a rain tarp and alcohol burner doesn't allow us to stay long.  A  more closed-in and warm shelter would.







I presented the idea on my Wawhiker Backpacking YouTube channel, and received many positive comments, more ideas and suggestions.  Thank you to my viewers and subscribers for your comments, ideas and suggestions.







The feed port on the stove pipe and the ability to heat water... 








...(and an easier option using a stove pipe tee and galvanized 3 inch stove pipe, available at most local-based hardware stores) were all viewer ideas.






Wood stove pellets verses gathered campsite wood has been a YouTube viewer observation.  Here is my thought.  
We hike in forests just outside the largest rain forests in the northern hemisphere.  Our forests get a lot of rain.  Dead standing trees (including their branches) that could be used for fires are wet.  Searching, finding and processing dry wood takes more time and energy than I care to spend at most day backpacking sites.  

I can leave the ax or saw or larger camp knife in the gear closet and bring along a bag of wood pellets instead.  Wood pellets in the BioLite CookStove burn hot, consistent and clean (and the burn is easily controlled).  As mentioned earlier, the set-up for the stove, pipe and shelter is easy and quick.  I can create a warm shelter in no time.



The hot tent, hot shelters with the BioLite CookStove is still a work in progress as I mentioned in my most recent YT video in the series.

See the Hot Tent Hot Shelters with the BioLite CookStove playlist on Wawhiker Backpacking on my YouTube channel).  

I will continue to post updates and my progress here.  



2 comments:

  1. is it possible to put an L on the side for the pipe
    and set a plate on the top of your tee as a stovetop?
    does it make sense???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pipe Cooking Space
    https://www.gstove.com/gstove/100103/pipe-cooking-space-extra-space-for-cooking-on-your-gstove

    ReplyDelete